Cultural Awareness Programs and Initiatives
Multicultural Student Services collaborates with key partners like UPC and multicultural student groups in order to create events and programs to celebrate diversity and multiculturalism within the larger UVA community.
- Culturefest - Created in 1986, Culturefest is a cultural festival that is in partnership with University Programs Council that traditionally takes place during Parents and Family Weekend. The event features cultural performances, interactives tables and booths, dances, art exhibitions, and other expressions of culture. Cultural groups and CIOs will be reached out to in early September regarding involvement with the event.
- Hispanic Heritage Month (mid-September to mid-October) - In partnership with Latinx Student Alliance (LSA), MSS co-sponsors cultural events, workshops, and programs to celebrate the culture and achievements of the Latinx/Hispanic/Chicanx heritage.
- Middle Eastern/Arab American Heritage Month (mid-March to mid- April) - MSS partners with the Middle Eastern Leadership Council and affiliated CIOs to put on a set of events to celebrate the Middle Eastern heritage.
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (UVA Celebration - April; National Celebration - May) - In partnership with Asian Student Union and other affiliated organizations and faculty/staff, MSS co-sponsors programs and events to highlight the Asian American heritage.
- Pride Week - Each Spring, this week is a celebration of the UVA LGBTQ community. It features speakers, performers, social events, films, discussions, and is sponsored by the LGBTQ Center, Queer Student Union, Sigma Omicron Rho, and Athletes 4 Equality.