MSS Signature Events
Each year, Multicultural Student Services hosts a number of events for the University community in order to engage multicultural student and the larger UVA community.
Opening Signature Events
- New Student Welcome and Cultural Affinity Receptions - MSS hosts a number of receptions for each of the cultural affinity groups to welcome new students and introduce them to resources, faculty and administration, and student groups and initiatives to help in their transition to UVA. New in 2017: MSS will be hosting one large MSS New Student Welcome before breaking into separate cultural affinity receptions - Details to come
- New Student Retreat: Immerse! - This new initiative will bring together new students who identify as multicultural to a one-day retreat at an off-Grounds location. The New Student Retreat will provide an opportunity for new students to meet one another, dialogue about shared experiences, learn about key resources and programs, and engage with key student leaders and staff.
- Multicultural Scholars Reception - After the fall semester, first year multicultural students who are a part of the Dean’s List of their respective programs are invited to a Multicultural Scholars Reception to recognize their achievements for the past semester.
Graduation Ceremonies - As part of Final Exercises, Multicultural Student Services hosts two graduation ceremonies to commemorate students who identify as multicultural (LGBTQ & Hispanic/Latinx, Middle Eastern, Native/Aboriginal, & Asian/Asian Pacific American).
- LGBTQ Lavender Ceremony - Typically held the Thursday prior to Final Exercises, the LGBTQ Lavender Ceremony commemorates graduates who idenitfy as LGTBQ and as allies. The event highlights student speakers, award winners, and the donning of lavender stoles for graduates.
- Multicultural Graduation Ceremony - Held on the Friday of Final Exercises, the Multicultural Graduation Ceremony commemorates those who identify as Hispanic/Latinx, Middle Eastern, Native/Aboriginal, & Asian/Asian Pacific American. The ceremony highlights student speakers, faculty/administration, and presentation of graduation stoles.
- V. Shamim Sisson Ally Award Reception - The V. Shamim Sisson Ally of the Year Award seeks to recognize a member of the UVA community who has gone above and beyond in their daily life in supporting the LGBTQ+ community, furthering the rights and acceptance of queer-identified individuals at the University of Virginia and beyond. Understanding that allies come in many shapes and sizes and with varying access to resources, we encourage and welcome student, faculty, staff, and alumni nominees. This award brings necessary attention to the important role that allies play in the fight for equality, social justice, and the acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community. The V. Shamim Sisson Ally of the Year Award is presented during The Annual Serpentine Society Fall Weekend.