APPLICATIONS TO BE A 2022-2023 MENTOR ARE CLOSED
The application to become a mentor for the Hispanic/Latinx Peer Mentor Program (PMP) for the 2022-2023 school year is currently closed. If you have any specific questions, please email Alisa Negron at email@example.com
PEER MENTOR PROGRAM GOALS
- Provide support and introduce new students to resources and services to help them adjust academically and socially to UVA.
- Guide students through their acclimation to UVA and their personal identity and cultural journey
- Provide personal and professional enrichment opportunities for students
- Build sense of community, connection, and belonging.
- Rising 2nd, 3rd, 4th year
- Good academic and judicial standing with the University
- Good interpersonal, communication and listening skills
- Ability to empathize and provide academic and personal support to an incoming student
- Desire and interest in helping new students adjust and feel welcomed to the University
- Commitment to investing the time necessary to be an effective mentor
MENTOR COMMITMENT & EXPECTATIONS
- Attend and actively participate in spring training activities. Spring training is scheduled for Saturday, March 28th, 10am-4pm, in Newcomb Hall.
- Attend monthly in-service (mentor development) sessions coordinated by Multicultural Student Services (subject to change).
- Meet one-on-one with assigned mentees to discuss academic and social adjustment at the university, concerns, and successes as well as provide updates and beneficial information. Assist mentees with planning academic and personal goals. Specifically, mentors will:
- Meet with mentee(s) twice per month in September and October AND email check-in each week through mid-October; Meet with mentee(s) once per month November - May
- Attend monthly academic success programs with your mentee(s) – coordinated by Multicultural Student Services – approximately three (3) per semester (subject to change).
- Attend the requisite number of socials and programs that are coordinated by the mentoring exec team. Attendance at group events is also required; the executive board for your program will communicate specific expectations regarding group events.
- Complete monthly contact forms to provide updates to the mentoring exec team regarding your assigned mentee group’s progress.
- Disseminate all pertinent information and announcements from Multicultural Student Services. Assist in the advertising and dissemination of information for various programs sponsored by Multicultural Student Services.
- Participate in an end-of-year assessment
- Maintain regular contact with peer mentor
- Attend academic, personal development, and social workshops
- Complete fall and spring evaluations