Cultural Awareness Programs and Initiatives
Multicultural Student Services collaborates with key partners like UPC and multicultural student groups in order to create events and programs to celebrate diversity and multiculturalism within the larger UVA community.
- Created in 1986, Culturefest is a cultural festival in partnership with University Programs Council (UPC) that traditionally takes place during Parents and Family Weekend. The event features cultural performances, interactives tables and booths, dances, art exhibitions, and other expressions of culture. Cultural groups and CIOs will be reached out to in early September regarding involvement with the event.
- Hispanic Heritage Month (mid-September to mid-October) - In partnership with Latinx Student Alliance (LSA), MSS co-sponsors cultural events, workshops, and programs to celebrate the culture and achievements of the Latinx/Hispanic/Chicanx heritage.
- Native American History Month (November) - In partnership with Native American Student Union (NASU), MSS assists with the sponsorship of programs that are focused on the history of indigenous, First Nations people of the Americas.
- Middle Eastern/Arab American Heritage Month (mid-March to mid- April) - MSS partners with the Middle Eastern Leadership Council and affiliated CIOs to put on a set of events to celebrate Middle Eastern heritage.
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (UVA Celebration - April; National Celebration - May) - In partnership with Asian Student Union and other affiliated organizations and faculty/staff, MSS co-sponsors programs and events to highlight Asian American heritage.
Throughout the academic year, the LGBTQ Center hosts a series of events to gather in community, prompt conversation and awareness about LGBTQ+ identity and issues, and celebrate the UVA LGBTQ+ community.