Applications to become an advisor for the Peer Advising Family Network (PAFN) will be available here in late fall/early spring.
PEER MENTOR PROGRAM GOALS
- Provide support and introduce new students to resources and services to help them adjust academically and socially to UVA.
- Guide students through their acclimation to UVA and their personal identity and cultural journey
- Provide personal and professional enrichment opportunities for students
- Build sense of community, connection, and belonging.
- Rising 2nd, 3rd, 4th year
- Good academic and judicial standing with the University
- Good interpersonal, communication and listening skills
- Ability to empathize and provide academic and personal support to an incoming student
- Desire and interest in helping new students adjust and feel welcomed to the University
- Commitment to investing the time necessary to be an effective mentor
MENTOR COMMITMENT & EXPECTATIONS
- Attend and actively participate in spring and fall training activities. Spring training is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, March 17th, 9am-5pm.
- Meet one-on-one with your assigned mentees to discuss academic and social adjustment at the university, concerns, and successes as well as provide updates and beneficial information. Assist mentees with planning academic and personal goals.
- Attend the requisite number of socials and programs that are coordinated by the mentoring exec team.
- Complete monthly contact forms to provide updates to the mentoring exec team regarding your assigned mentee group’s progress.
- Disseminate all pertinent information and announcements from Multicultural Student Services. Assist in the advertising and dissemination of information for various programs sponsored by Multicultural Student Services.
- Participate in an end-of-year assessment
Specific Mentor Expectations & Time Commitment
Meet with mentee(s) twice per month in September & October; once per month November – May
Email check-in each week through mid-October
Attendance at group events is also required; the executive board for your program will communicate specific expectations regarding group events