Due April 2nd by 11:59PM
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student or completing final year of a 5th year Master’s program.
- Must be in good academic and judicial/disciplinary standing at the time of application and throughout term of employment.
- Experience with diversity/social justice initiatives and education preferred.
- Federal Work Study eligibility required. Exceptions may be considered.
The Student Director will function as a colleague and member of the MSS professional team, play an instrumental role in building partnerships across Grounds, and serve as a liaison to students university-wide. The Student Director will focus on creating alliances and collaborations with students and CIOs, as well as faculty, staff, and the broader University community as directed. The Student Director will also offer guidance and insight for projects coordinated by the Multicultural Student Center interns. The Student Director reports directly to the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Multicultural Student Services.
- Provide leadership in the development, articulation, and affirmation of the overall goals of the Multicultural Student Center. Work with a team of professionals and MSC interns to develop and execute strategies for reaching the goals of the Multicultural Student Center.
- Advise the Multicultural Student Services team on matters pertinent to the experience of under-represented and marginalized students.
- Seek opportunities to engage, co-sponsor, and establish new initiatives for the MSC.
- Work with MSS staff and interns to build consistency and teamwork in the leadership and direction of the center.
- Provide senior-level student leadership for programming and outreach initiatives that build connections with faculty and student organizations; this will include management of existing signature events, as well as development of new initiatives. Some examples include Beyond the Book faculty/student engagement program with the Honor Committee and Library Council; coordination of MSC Faculty /Staff Connections; developing connections/partnerships with (multicultural) CIOs; and, coordinating opportunities for community reflection and engagement around current events.
- Attend weekly supervisory meetings, MSS leadership meetings, and MSC intern meetings.
- Assist with coordination of intern trainings and professional development.
- Provide leadership for daily operations of the MSC. Coordinate and assign front desk coverage for MSC interns.
- Provide 6-8 hours of weekly coverage for the MSC front desk, and maintain a consistent and engaging presence in the MSC.
- Serve as a liaison between administrators and students.
- Serve a student member of the University Diversity Council. May serve on the Cultural Programming Board.
- May assist with selection and training of Multicultural Student Center interns. MSC intern training is Saturday, April 13, 2019.
- Attend Leadership 2K (“L2K”) May 20-24, 2019. L2K is an intensive one-week summer program for the leaders of major, University-wide organizations designed to enhance their skills, increase their knowledge of the University, extend their network of University contacts, and contribute to a sense of community among student leaders.
- Represent the Multicultural Student Center to the University, the press, and the public. Serve on University committees and working groups.
- Assist with administrative duties including center reservations, photocopying, and customer service.
- Manage the space reservation system/form and work to ensure reservation and space details.
- Communicate and ensure adherence to established policies regarding reservations use of center resources.
- Prepare the space for events and meetings as scheduled through MSC reservations systems (Google platform).
- Provide information about the Multicultural Student Center to guests; ensure that they are well resourced and aware of the services and programs of the MSC.
- Provide assistance for MSS staff with special projects and tasks, as assigned.
- Assist in facility maintenance including basic cleaning, furniture rearrangements, and supply inventory.
- Attend periodic MSS unit meetings, including LGBTQ center staff.
- Attend all trainings and planning sessions.
- Submit semester and year-end written reports for inclusion in the MSS annual report
- Submit weekly oral and/or written reports on internship progress
- Attend one Safe Space Training and one Multicultural Peer Educator workshop during the fall semester.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 12-15 hours per week during the academic year, including 6-8 hours desk coverage and visibility in the MSC fulfilling programmatic duties. Compensation: $1500 per semester (paid as an hourly wage of $8.50), beginning mid-August through mid-May. You will submit bi-weekly timesheets online. *Compensation amounts/types are subject to change.
- L2K Summer Internship: 40 hours per week from May 27 – June 28, 2019. You will receive a total compensation of $1800 to be paid in three installments of $600 over the course of the summer. If desired, on-grounds housing will be provided. The Student Director is required to participate in L2K. Applicants who have a legitimate conflict with this commitment must have a conversation with the Assistant Dean to assess the viability of your application. Please note that the terms and compensation for the L2K summer internship may change.
- Must attend mandatory spring training meetings as coordinated by supervisor.