Student Director 2018-2019
Create Alliances across Grounds, set vision for MSC programs and initiatives.
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED THROUGH THURSDAY, MARCH 1ST, 11:59PM
Student Director, Multicultural Student Center (application)
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student or completing final year of a 5th year Master’s program.
- Must be in good academic and judicial/disciplinary standing at the time of application.
- Experience with diversity/social justice initiatives and education preferred.
- It is preferred (not required) that applicants qualify for Federal Work Study.
The Student Director will function as a colleague and member of the MSS professional team, play an instrumental role in building partnerships across Grounds, and serve as a liaison to students university-wide. The Student Director will focus on creating alliances and collaborations with students and CIOs, as well as faculty, staff, and the broader University community as directed. The Student Director will also offer guidance and insight for projects coordinated by the Multicultural Student Center interns. The Student Director reports directly to the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Multicultural Student Services.
- Provide leadership in the development, articulation, and affirmation of the overall goals of the Multicultural Student Center. Work with a team of professionals and MSC interns to develop and execute strategies for reaching the goals of the Multicultural Student Center.
- Advise the Multicultural Student Services team on matters pertinent to the experience of under-represented and marginalized students.
- Seek opportunities to engage, co-sponsor, and establish new initiatives for the MSC.
- Work with the MSS team and MSC interns to maintain consistency and teamwork in the leadership and direction of the center.
- Provide leadership for programming and outreach initiatives to include: MSC Faculty /Staff Connections; signature programs co-sponsored with the Honor Committee and Sustained Dialogue; co-convening the MSS Advisory Board; coordination of CIO Leader Receptions; coordinating opportunities for community response and reflection around current events; establish and cultivate alumni connections.
- Attend weekly supervisory meetings, MSS leadership meetings, and MSC intern meetings.
- Provide leadership for daily operations of the MSC. Provide 5 hours of weekly coverage for the MSC front desk. Coordinate and assign front desk coverage for MSC interns. Coordinate intern passive programming calendar. Maintain a regular presence in the Multicultural Student Center.
- Serve as a liaison between administrators and students.
- Serve as a member of the Cultural Programming Board.
- Participate in the selection and training of Multicultural Student Center interns. MSC intern training is Saturday, April 7, 2018.
- Attend Leadership 2K (“L2K”) May 21-25, 2018. L2K is an intensive one-week summer program for the leaders of major, University-wide organizations designed to enhance their skills, increase their knowledge of the University, extend their network of University contacts, and contribute to a sense of community among student leaders.
- Represent the Multicultural Student Center to the University, the press, and the public. Serve on University committees and working groups.
- Provide five (5) hours of weekly coverage for MSC front-desk support.
- Assist with administrative duties including center reservations, photocopying, and customer service.
- Assist in facility maintenance including basic cleaning, furniture rearrangements, and supply inventory.
- Create at least one (1) passive program per semester within the Multicultural Student Center.
- Assist in the execution of MSC-sponsored receptions, events, and programs, as needed.
- Attend weekly meetings as assigned and monthly MSS unit meeting.
- Contribute to the MSS Weekly newsletter with one submission per semester
- Submit quarterly and year-end written reports for inclusion in the MSS annual report
- Submit weekly oral and/or written reports on internship progress
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 12-15 hours per week during the academic year. Compensation: $1500 per semester (paid as an hourly wage of $8.50), beginning mid-August through mid-May. You will submit bi-weekly timesheets online. *Compensation amounts/types are subject to change.
- L2K Summer Internship: 40 hours per week from May 28 – June 29, 2018. You will receive a total compensation of $1800 to be paid in three installments of $600 over the course of the summer. If desired, on-grounds housing will be provided. The Student Director is required to participate in L2K. Applicants who have a legitimate conflict with this commitment must have a conversation with the Assistant Dean to assess the viability of your application. Please note that the terms and compensation for the L2K summer internship may change.
- Must attend mandatory spring training meetings as coordinated by supervisor, and attend the Multicultural Leadership Conference on Sunday, April 22, 2018.
- Must remain in good standing throughout term of employment.