Applications for 2018-2019 MSC Interns positions are now closed. Check back in January 2019 for application information.
- Applicants must be full-time undergraduate in good standing throughout term of employment.
- Must be in good academic standing at the time of application.
- Must be in good judicial/disciplinary standing with the University.
- It is preferred that applicants qualify for Federal Work Study
MULTICULTURAL STUDENT SERVICES (MSS), OFFICE OF THE DEAN OF STUDENTS
Multicultural Student Services (MSS), as part of the Office of the Dean of Students, aims to promote belonging and engagement for underrepresented and marginalized students. We enhance the undergraduate experience through co-curricular programs and culturally relevant services that are meant to empower students in their identity, build community, and provide holistic support for diverse students.
MULTICULTURAL STUDENT CENTER (MSC)
We aim to facilitate a student-centered, collaborative space that supports underrepresented and marginalized communities, while cultivating the holistic empowerment of all students. We seek to enhance personal development, build understanding through dialogue of diverse experiences, and equip students with tools to become socially conscious, citizen leaders. Through these efforts, the Multicultural Student Center hopes to inspire cultural fluency and the sense of responsibility necessary to ensure the dignity and respect of all individuals.
The four (4) student interns will provide most of the programmatic and outreach initiatives for the MSC for students, student leaders, and CIOs. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Multicultural Student Services, and working closely with the MSC Student Director, these interns will provide the programming necessary to fulfill our mission as shared above. Each intern will have individualized roles within the intern team, but will also have shared responsibilities and regular attendance in team meetings to ensure success in individual and group-led initiatives.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE – FOUR (4)
- Community Development – One (1) Position available
- This position will focus on creating outreach initiatives to establish engagement and community building opportunities between students and the Multicultural Student Center. Some programming can include recurring weekly, bi-weekly, monthly socials, mixers, and other similar events. This intern will have a particular focus on also planning on-going events to engage specifically with new students and their transitional needs. Other events include study breaks around mid-terms and final exams, alumni receptions during YAR, etc.
- Identity Development Intern – One (1) Position Available
- This position will focus on planning and executing programs that explore the impacts of social identity on personal development, mental health, academic and career aspirations, and the overall student experience. Specific programmatic responsibilities will include: development of cultural identity/community dialogues; the DiversiTEA Career series with UVA Career Center; Things I Wish I Knew Faculty Engagement Program; and developing programs for assigned heritage/awareness months.
- Leadership Intern – One (1) Position Available
- This position will plan and execute programs that focus on developing leadership skills and leadership identities of all students, with a particular focus of those who are not in any particular leadership training group, these include skill building programming, involvement fairs, leadership panels to showcase upperclass CIO leaders to rising leaders, and collaborating/co-sponsoring with student governance groups, etc. This intern will assist graduate assistants in the development and execution of MLC, and lead the coordination of end-of-year awards/recognition.
- Multicultural Education – One (1) Positions Available
- This position will plan and execute programs with a focus on intercultural dialogue, awareness, and social justice. A major component of this position is coordinating the Multicultural Consciousness Series, which includes lectures, debates, panel discussions, films, videos, performances, and other events open to the larger UVA community. This intern will also coordinate a dialogue series, coordinate the Understanding Social Justice Ted Talk Series, and develop programming for assigned heritage/awareness months.
- Provide six (6) hours of weekly coverage for MSC/QC front-desk support.
- Assist with administrative duties including center reservations, photocopying, and customer service.
- Assist in facility maintenance including basic cleaning, furniture rearrangements, and supply inventory.
- Create at least one (1) passive program per semester within the Multicultural Student Center.
- Assist in the execution of MSC-sponsored receptions, events, and programs, as needed.
- Attend weekly meetings with the intern staff and/or MSS professional staff.
- Attend one monthly MSS unit meeting.
- Attend all trainings and planning sessions.
- Contribute to the MSS Weekly newsletter with one submission per semester
- Submit quarterly and year-end written reports for inclusion in the MSS annual report
- Submit weekly oral and/or written reports on internship progress
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 8-10 hours per week during the academic year, including desk coverage. Compensation: $8.50/hour, beginning mid-August through mid-May. *Compensation amounts/types are subject to change.