Based on guidance to cancel all non-essential travel, UVA will not be taking a student cohort to NCORE 2020.
The National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE) is an annual conference that builds a community of inclusion; it is also a place for building skills, alliance, and knowledge about issues of race and ethnicity in Higher Education.
NCORE constitutes the leading and most comprehensive national forum on issues of race and ethnicity in American higher education. The conference focuses on the complex task of creating and sustaining comprehensive institutional change designed to improve racial and ethnic relations on campus and to expand opportunities for educational access and success by culturally diverse, traditionally underrepresented populations.
NCORE is designed to provide a significant forum for discussion, critical dialogue, and exchange of information as institutions search for effective strategies to enhance access, social development, education, positive communication, and cross-cultural understanding in culturally diverse settings.
- NCORE Dates: May 26 - 30, 2020
- Location: New York City
- Link to Conference Website
History and Purpose
UVA began sending a student cohort to the annual national conference in 2017 with the purpose of exposing students to in-depth conversations and learning opportunities specific to race and ethnicity. Participation contributes to students’ personal and professional development, and equips the UVA community with a cadre of students whose NCORE experience will deepen academic, intellectual, and social discourse on matters of race and ethnicity. As a requirement of NCORE attendance, each student develops and implements an on-grounds program, activity or initiative tailored to the particular needs of UVA.
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 11:59 pm
- Notifications: on or before Friday, March 27, 2020
- Deadline to Accept or Decline: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 by noon
- Must be enrolled full-time at the time of application and the following academic year.
- Must attend 2 mandatory pre-departure orientation meetings in April/May 2020
- Participate fully in conference sessions and planned group meetings.
- Completion of an NCORE project during the 2020-21 academic year; this will require regular meetings with NCORE advisors
- Assist in the publicity and recruitment process for future NCORE attendees.
- Registration, travel, and accommodations fully covered by the Office of the Provost.
- Meals will be reimbursed at the per diem rate of $76
- Students are responsible for all other travel-related expenses.
- Gender neutral restrooms will be on-site at the conference
- Students will be placed in shared, gender-inclusive, room assignments.
There is a separate application process for graduate students. More information for graduate students interested in attending NCORE can be found here.
Please note that this application is for UVA students only, and attendance is sponsored by UVA’s Office of the Provost. The UVA application process is separate and apart from the NCORE-run student scholarship program.